IMPOSSIBLE FIGURES, GRIEF≠DEPRESSION, MATH+CHILDREN, REVERSE ENGINEERING, NUMBER HYGIENE, SPACEWALK & SPACE MUSIC.
When we admire the artwork of M.C. Escher, or we see some impossibile figure like the Pensore triange, how does the brain processe impossible objects?
“The DSM-5 Mood Disorders Work Group has proposed eliminating in DSM-5 the major depression criterion E, “bereavement exclusion” (BE), which recognizes that depressive symptoms are sometimes normal in recently bereaved individuals.”
The failing in recognizing the difference between a proportionate response to a devastating emotional event and a mental illness carry the risk to make a caricature of psychiatry. Psychiatrists must think better.
“Children as young as three to five years of age have the potential to learn mathematics that is surprisingly complex and sophisticated”, and, more impressive, infants by two months understand that unsupported objects will fall, and that hidden objects still exist and by five months of age they expect non-cohesive substances like water and sand to pour. This suggests that babies born with a basic understanding of how things in their environment operate.
Ray Kurzweil is convinced that ”[…] by 2020 we’ll have computers that are powerful enough to simulate the human brain […] By 2029 […] we will have completed the reverse engineering of the human brain.”
Mh. I’m not sure.
The Royal Statistical Society proposes 12 rules of “number hygiene” for journalists to at least achieve a basic understanding of numbers, statistics, graphs and so on (all of which are far too loved by journalists).
“An EVA is probably the most physically demanding task an astronaut can undertake.”How astronauts learn to “spacewalk”.
“Musics in space is something very important for the moral of the crew and for the psychological support of the crew.”
- randometry reblogged this from scipsy
- qt-pi likes this
- waxridiculous likes this
- thewaryandthewild likes this
- tayseh reblogged this from scipsy
- digitalpixie reblogged this from scipsy
- lunith likes this
- aschellen likes this
- taesongkim likes this
- yeahwellthedudeabides reblogged this from scipsy
- unintentional-enchantment likes this
- spindlr likes this
- randomizerbyoyieth likes this
- startstopgo likes this
- amor-invictus likes this
- baevie likes this
- maliciastarling likes this
- zoruargh likes this
- porkodjavelo likes this
- foodgroup likes this
- kthnnss likes this
- whatshallwedo likes this
- re-repost likes this
- ghostnineone reblogged this from scipsy
- dea-goes-a-tumbln likes this
- plasticfox likes this
- serbridford likes this
- kimikimkimochi likes this
- therightfit reblogged this from scipsy
- redqueenv6 likes this
- tacotemple likes this
- sailor---moon reblogged this from scipsy
- instantuniverse likes this
- wedding-dress-bridal likes this
- kampire likes this
- theoldorifice likes this
- sherlockhomeless likes this
- corubai likes this
- zero27 likes this
- youralmostcrimes likes this
- sleepy-ikari likes this
- the0wl likes this
- joeyjunior15 likes this
- frivolessismore likes this
- ulitobing likes this
- iceageiscoming reblogged this from scipsy
- iceageiscoming likes this
- mmattie reblogged this from scipsy